I’ve been seeing a lot of egg + avocado combinations lately. Even Paula Deen managed to stuff a sandwich with fried eggs and avocados, not without bacon, butter, and cream cheese of course!
No offence to bacon, butter, cream cheese, or Paula Deen, but I’m going to stick to a simpler combination. This is kind of an ugly version of deviled eggs, they’re green after all. I like the idea of deviled eggs, but not the yolk + mayo mixture, so I experimented. The kicker here is the lemon juice blended with the yolks and avocado, it breaks through the richness and makes the filling a little more refreshing.
You can attempt to make the eggs fancy by piping the filling, but I don’t know if I would recommend serving these to people. I like the rustic look, perfect for breakfast, no piping bag required.
- 4 large hard boiled eggs
- 1 avocado
- 1 – 2 tbsp lemon juice, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- alfalfa sprouts (optional)
- Peel the hard boiled eggs and cut in half length-wise.
- Carefully empty the yolks and scoop out the avocado flesh into a small food processor. I used a hand blender, that works well too.
- Add 1 tbsp of the lemon juice.
- Puree until smooth, adding olive oil if necessary to help the consistency.
- Add salt and the rest of the lemon juice, to taste.
- Spoon (or pipe) the mixture back into the egg white halves.
- Garnish with sprouts.